Toilet Soup and Potty Mouth - there appears to be a theme
After our stomach bug last week Ava became very familiar with the workings of a toilet. So much so, tonight when mommy was cooking dinner in the kitchen, Ava decided to go around the corner and make some soup - in the bathroom....
Ava's recipe:
1 bowl of cat food
1 role of toilet paper
A couple of feminine products
2 wooden blocks
1 hand towel
1 red hair ribbon
and to top it off our add your "Swiper" beanie baby
Directions: Pull your stool up to the toilet, open the toilet lid, add ingredients, stir with your hand, then your princess wand, and end with a flush. After you flush, jump up and down in the water on the floor until your clothes are wet enough for mommy to notice. After mommy walks in the bathroom and reacts say "oh shit" and then let her figure out which action to respond to...
So - my friend Catherine wrote about Bella's version of Toilet Bowl Soup about a year ago. The girls are the same age. I could consider myself lucky that this did not happen until now. I laughed quite hard at her expense when I read her account of the incident and thought she would get a chuckle out of my experience as well - what comes around goes around.
The potty mouth... During the move, Ava picked up the word "shit" in context. I tried really hard to believe she was saying "sit" the first few times I heard it, but in one morning I heard it three times and it was in the moments that one might say "oh shit" - things rolling off a table "sit?", when she could not get her foot in her shoe, and when she dropped something - no real reason for "sit" at those moments. So I went into day care and asked what to do - they said to ignore it and not bring attention to it. So that is what I have done. She still pulls "oh shit" out occasionally and I do my absolute best not to respond (as advised) - but in this moment all I could do was laugh hysterically and cry... Note to self - Ava is not allowed to hang out in the bathroom when Mom is not in there also. Just so you know - I rarely swear So, I am not sure I can take credit for teaching her about the context of "oh shit"... but at least she is using it in context.
She has also found another new hobby in this house. Slamming doors... I am not sure why she has picked this up, but she thinks it is the funniest thing in the world. In general, I can live with it - the time when it gets tricky is when I do not realize she just shut one of our animals in a space they are not interested in staying in for a few hours. Of late, I feel much better about the door slamming thing, because I saw the kids on "John and Kate plus Eight" the other night getting in trouble for slamming doors - if they are doing it, it must be normal. Right?
Questions for the moms...
How do your reward for potty training? And do you do something different for sitting on the potty vs. going on the potty?
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am not a new Mom but back in those days I always read a book while they were on the potty. It got them to relax and sometimes they went and sometimes they didn't. The only thing I did was clap and tell everyone! I normally had other kids at home so everyone clapped!Tammy used stickers! I honestly think that people start too early and it is more stressful on the parents. When children are ready they just seem to be more acceptable to the idea. The girls just put potty's in the bathroom and when they wanted to sit on them they let them and praised them when they went! So far they are all trained some sooner than others! :) I am sure you will do just fine! Just a note on the "oh shit" incident. Whenever any of the kids say that, their parents look directly at me! I am trying to be much better with that! That is my downfall.
ReplyDeleteHi Meg! That story is hilarious. Sorry I am laughing at your expense, but it is SO funny. We used a sticker system (for sitting on the seat/interest at first, and then only for actual "action.") When there were enough stickers on the chart, we gradually moved from cashing in a full week's worth for a small prize (Dollar Store) all the way up to a Cake and Party (just for us) when it had been a long time - like maybe a full month. Finding the right seat was key for us. Matt liked the kind that allowed him to sit right on the big throne -- not the little seat on the floor. It took us a while to figure that one out. Phone calls from Gram and family members with a lot of cheering and clapping also helped to reinforce. Having a few good books on potty training also supported the effort. Love that bibliotherapy!
ReplyDeleteLove that story! I used stickers for each of my four older kids. We sang songs while they sat on the potty (so they would sit there for more than a second) and stickers if they went pee pee or poo poo. After a while the stickers weren't enough of a prize, so I graduated to a dum dum sucker if they did poo poo. This never got old since we rarely let them have candy. Oh, and we went shopping for fun underwear and made a big deal about it to everyone. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteMeg:
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story!!! It had to be comical to walk in and find all that ... guess she was trying to help make dinner :-)
just wait until it is your turn Christine :).
ReplyDeleteSticker charts with tangible rewards - like one sticker for sitting, 2 for pee, 3 for poop...then rewards at 7 stickers (small $ store reward), 14 stickers (bigger toy, book or movie) and 28 stickers (that one was Chuck E Cheese aka Charles de fromage in our household LOL). Mostly it needs to be a reward that SHE would care about.
ReplyDeleteLove the story though and feel closer to you every time I read your latest post!
I'll have to remember that we dn't like potty soup in this house. Thankfully little boy hasn't gotten this idea into his head yet.
ReplyDeletegoing potty was easy - once I was sure it was "their" time and they were ready. No big deal just taking the time to sit on the potty - and if they were happy - they'd stay and sometimes look at a book - the potty was definately in the bathroom - no place else - gross - yes I've seen that! and if they did go - the reward was only what a big girl and how terrific it was - and even a "excited" viewing of their results. I wasn't ever much for "rewards" - for doing what is natural. Just my style - they figured out later how to get things from me!! Love this blog! and you both
ReplyDeleteI laughed so hard the firs time I read it and then I had to read it again to Elisabeth! Priceless. I do believe her soup would beat out Isabella's soup if there was a contest!!!! Elisabeth's first word was 'shit' and she said it nice and loud while standing on the Baby Gap counter at 9 months old. As for the potty training, our sitter gave her a miniature M & M every time she peed. She didn't get anything for sitting on it except for praise for trying. You could do a sticker for trying and a small treat for going. This reward system lasts only a little bit-they just end up going without anything eventually!!
ReplyDelete